Friday 16 September 2011

Love is in the Little Things

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about love the last few weeks and what it looks like.  I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s not the big things….it’s the little things that show me and tell me that I am loved, that others around me are loved.  As I watch my dad love and care for my mom in these, her last days, I am overwhelmed by the look of adoration and pride and love that he looks at her with and the willing heart to serve her that is evident in all he does.  When I see my own man look at me with that same look I am reminded that love is in the day to day, in the moments we often take for granted. 
I used to be a girl who needed flowers and jewelry to believe that a man loved me but I have learned that those are easy things to do for someone…anyone can do them.  Would this girl love to receive flowers and jewelry from her man?  Sure.  But I’d trade all of the flowers and bling in the world for the intangible loving acts that happen every day throughout the day…Little things like…
-          Fixing my bike so we can go riding together, while I take a much needed nap…
-          Cleaning up the remains of the many “presents” my cats like to bring me that they leave laying around the yard.
-          Heading to the store early in the morning to get me real cream for my coffee because he knows I don’t like the powered stuff
-          Making the drive out to my place at the end of a long day of work simply because he can’t wait until the next day to see me
-          Talking with me for hours about whatever crosses our minds
-          Fixing dinner for me at the end of a day of work because he knows I’ve had a hard day
-          Texting me goodnight every night and good morning every morning so our day starts and ends with each other
-          Being affectionate with me no matter who is around….holding my hand, etc (appropriate PDA!!!)
-          Being proud of who I am and letting others know he is.
-          Praying for me and thanking God for me and for our relationship
These are just a few things of many that he does that tell me he loves me.  They are the day-to-day things that are hard to really describe sometimes and maybe on their own wouldn’t mean much but when you put them all together, add them all up, they spell a whole lot of love.  When you appreciate these things and recognize them for what they are they are the things that keep the love alive through the years.  It’s in serving each other and appreciating the opportunity to do so that makes these things special. 
Because love really is in the little things. Wouldn't you agree?

0 comments:

Post a Comment